Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The wait

From July travel - mostly OHIO
We were assigned two wait dates as we were leaving the IVF clinic. The first, a 14 day wait, to find out if Zupe had set up house. The second, a 9 month wait, to evict the poor boy from said home.

We went "home" to our friends house, stopping on the way at a craft store for something Kevin needed for his games - probably plastic bags, and then I went to bed. (About now I know you are fearful that you will be asked to read a minute by minute account of the first 9 months followed by the post birth continuum. Really. Who has the time?)

As I was saying, I went to bed since I hadn't slept well the night before and continued what would be a continual effort for many weeks to come of trying to feel pregnant. Perhaps, I felt a little weight, something solid and deep, in my lower abdomen.

We stayed in Texas a couple more days then I flew to Ohio and Kevin flew to California before flying home to Brisbane. I enjoyed my time in the long summer days of Ohio but told only my mother of our effort. (I still had the photo at that time - and I made copies - but I can't find any now.) I continued to puzzle about my body, our body. Any change could easily be a consequence of my exogenous progesterone.

On the flight from Ohio to LA I watched in-flight TV - a program telling the stories of women who didn't know they were pregnant until they were giving birth. I tried to take solace in this. I yearned for it to be an omen.

The days continued and despite my exhaustive self examination I couldn't find any indication of nausea or fatigue or substantive change. Kevin and I went for the tell-all blood test early on the morning of the 26th. I was feeling dispirited. They took my blood and I asked them to call Kevin. I didn't want to get bad news at work.

I had a break during morning appointments and checked my email.

PROJECT Z IS A GO!!!

Reply |Kevin to Ann, me

So don't be sad.

And continue taking care of yourself.

Your Love Daddy,

Kevin


The beta HCG measured 1,966. One week later it had skyrocketed to 24,051. The Brisbane clinic questioned how many embryos we had transferred.

Just one BADASS dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment