Friday, July 1, 2011

Baby Braille

In the hospital we learned to swaddle Zupe. When he'd snuffle or snort or sound like he was struggling to breath through the copious mucous that filled his respiratory track (and digestive track - but that's neither here nor there)- a side effect of missing out on the "Big Squeeze" and being born by C-section - I'd reach through the bars on my bed and over the side of his bassinet and stroke his body.

This is how and when it dawned on me that I was completely misunderstanding the anatomy I'd been palpating for the last several months. You see, a baby wrapped tightly in a blanket feels from the outside like a baby bound tightly in an abdomen. Same lumps. Same bumps.

Probably no major insight for you. But, I've been a little slow lately.

Somehow, despite having a body of my own for almost 50 years, I had forgotten about shoulders, and elbows, and knees. Especially knees.

I wish now I could go back and feel that belly again and see if I could read what it had to tell me using my new understanding - my baby braille.

No comments:

Post a Comment